Despite still good temperatures, the days are getting shorter, the mornings are fresh… Winter will soon be here. Now is the perfect time to think about your next winter getaways: are you going to prepare your travel or store your motorhome in winter?
Prepare your travel or store your motorhome: why and how to protect your motorhome in winter?
Are you sure you will not be using your motorhome this winter? Start thinking about it and prepare your vehicle for wintering. Discover our tips for a successful storage indoors and outdoors in winter:
- Switch off the water pump and bleed the boiler
- Drain and clean the water tanks
- Disinfect the toilet and tank
- Turn off the gas and remove the bottles
- Switch off all electrical devices
- Disconnect the batteries and recharge them
- Empty and ventilate the cupboards
- Clean the refrigerator
- Wash the body of the vehicle and rims
- Protect and lubricate the seals
- Install the motorhome on chocks or levelers
Prepare your travel or store your motorhome: how to plan your motorhome trip in winter?
However, traveling in winter is absolutely possible and it is gaining more and more popularity among the travelers. You just need to equip yourself with the necessary equipment and have a good organization.
First of all, before departure, besides your usual checks, remember to carry out a few controls such as: fill the windscreen washer reservoir with antifreeze and ventilate the vehicle.
1. Choose the indispensable equipment
It is important to install front and rear snow tires to have good grip on the road. Chains can be used in addition to help you in some difficult situations. Install them on the drive wheels.
2. Driving on snow with a motorhome
When the weather turns bad, be even more careful than usual. Adopt a smooth drive, drive at low speed, avoid sudden braking (using the engine braking), respect the safety distances and leave room for road salting vehicles…
3. Park in motorhome in winter
The motorhome is the perfect means of transport for discovering winter sports while sleeping close to the ski slopes. However, many parking reserved for motorhomes close their doors in winter, so you need to plan ahead your travel steps.
Of course, whether you choose to prepare your travel or store your motorhome for winter, do not forget to have a look on the regular maintenance of your vehicle:
- Take care of the engine: change engine and brake oil every 50 000 km
- Check the tire pressure: neither too much nor too little to avoid the risk of bursting
- Clean the vehicle body: water and soap are enough
- Check for leaks: humidity control once a year
- Clean the tanks: clean, gray and black water every year
- Watch the batteries: unplug everything when not driving
So rather you prefer to prepare your travel or store your motorhome in winter? Do not hesitate to share your tips with the whole community!
Remember, in any season, enjoy your trip in motorhome, caravan and van with the CaraMaps application always in your pocket!