Summer vacation is the most awaited moment for most travelers. Sea, mountain, countryside, everyone has their preferences. But how to enjoy summer in a motorhome?
Here are some tips to make your holidays as pleasant as possible.
Where to go during the summer in a motorhome?
Europe is full of sunny and warm destinations. Whether you are a fan of the mountains, the sea or the countryside, there are a lot of exceptional places on our continent.
Between the Mediterranean Sea and the Alps, this country offers a multitude of different landscapes. If you want to enjoy the warm turquoise water then the south of the peninsula and Sardinia are for you. You can taste regional specialties and discover the culture of the territory. On the other hand, if you are looking for freshness and mountains, we advise you to head towards the north of the Italian boot. Between lakes, mountains and rivers, fresh air will be there.
This welcoming and warm country overflows with colorful landscapes. Known as a festive country, it can also be very relaxing in Galicia or Andalusia. If you are not a sea lover, then get lost in the lands of Spain. Be careful, it can get very hot in the summer! Take the opportunity to taste the many well-known dishes such as paella, ham, tapas and many more!
Land of surf and cliffs, Portugal is perfect for people who do not like the heat. Its Atlantic weather gives a unique freshness not found on the Mediterranean coast. Portugal is filled with unique places and breathtaking landscapes, such as immense caves or imposing cliffs.
Formed by many islands, Greece is a country rich in traditions and colors. Known for its white and blue houses, matching with the sea, this country is ideal for spending a romantic holiday. Travel by ferry from one island to another and enjoy the various landscapes. Discover the Greek seabed rich in biodiversity.
Finally, France, also surprising because of its diversity. The French (metropolitan) coast has more than 4,000 km of coastline and offers many different landscapes. Between the North, the South West and the Côte d’Azur, you have many choices. With its five mountains, France is perfect for hiking lovers wanting to conquer summits.
How to fight the heat?
If you are not a big fan of summer heat, here are some tips to cool off in a motorhome:
- Do not choose a too hot destination, prefer the Atlantic Coast or the North of Europe. Check out the weather before leaving, and choose the right time of the year!
- Insulate your motorhome to prevent heat from entering in.
- Invest in an air conditioning or a fan to ventilate the interior of the camper as much as possible.
- Choose spots in the shade to spend the night. Thus, the sun will not hit the vehicle from the morning and you will be able to enjoy the morning breeze. Find an area on CaraMaps!
- Close your shutters and curtains as much as possible during the day. The freshness of the night will be maintained inside your motorhome.
- Don’t forget to hydrate yourself throughout the day!
How to fight against mosquitoes?
Mosquitoes are a nightmare during summer! More dreadful than any other insect, they can make life hell.
To avoid them as much as possible:
- Close doors and windows as much as possible so that no mosquitoes enter.
- Avoid standing water in your motorhome and nearby.
- Invest in lemongrass essence (available in drugstores), it will repel animals. But don’t expose yourself to the sun with it!
- For outdoors, light mosquito coils, effective when nearby people.
- Catch them with an electric racket, quite funny but be careful not to touch it with your fingers!
- Trap lamps are also very efficient. Install it near you and you will not be bitten!
How to avoid the influx of vacationers?
Tourists and vacationers are present in particular in July and August. So do not hesitate to favor June or September. You will have fewer people, but still with good weather and pleasant temperatures to enjoy all the outdoor activities.
We also advise you to avoid well-known and tourist areas. Take advantage of your motorhome to offset yourself. Get off the beaten track, favor little-known, discreet and sparsely populated places. Let yourself be surprised!
What should you check before the trip?
Before setting off on the road it is important to carry out certain checks which can avoid disaster during the trip:
- Pamper your motorhome! After the winter, everything must be restarted and carefully checked.
- Check your engine, fluid levels, tires and everything that follows.
- Close the gas bottle and the gas inlets.
- Check all the openings (hold, toilet, drain valve, water filling, etc.).
- Lock your windows and closets.
- Turn off the water pump.
Live your trip with CaraMaps!