Visiting the Christmas markets a real passion? Well don’t worry, you are in the right place to discover Christmas markets in Italy in motorhome!
The sparkling lights of the log cabins, the spicy scents of mulled wine, and the vanilla aroma of candy from the market stalls – which are set with the backdrop of old music and songs – is one of many favorite destinations of travelers in motorhomes and caravans.
This old tradition, which for centuries filled the squares of northern Europe with scents and atmospheres, has also spread over time throughout the continent. In Italy, either due to geographical proximity or cultural relations with Austria, the tradition of markets developed mainly in South Tyrol and then gradually spread to Trentino and now to the rest of the country.
Where to go to discover the Christmas markets in Italy? 🎄
We will list below those markets we liked the most. Remember, this is not a ranking. It is only as an indication and according to the geographical position.
Let’s start our travel to the Christmas markets in motorhome, caravan and van. Are you ready to go?
- Bolzano. What you should know about this market is that with Bressanone, it is the oldest in Italy. Since 1991, on the historic Place Walther, the stalls in white and red are a reminder of the much older Christmas market in Nuremberg. These stands offer South Tyrolean handicrafts for decorating the Christmas tree and the crib, as well as local products. More info here.
👉 Stay in motorhome near Bolzano at Camping Seiser Alm
📅 From 25th November to 6th January 2022
- Bressanone. We cannot talk about the Christmas market in Bolzano without thinking of that in Bressanone. As we already mentioned, these are the two oldest. Bressanone and its old houses, the Piazza del Duomo with its two bell towers and the beautiful peaks with snow that dominate the Christmas market; make it a popular destination for tourists.
👉 Take a break in a motorhome on the parking of Vahrn nearby Bressanone
📅 From 25th November to 6th January 2022
- Verona. In the beautiful historic center there are 3 places where you can stroll and shop at the market stalls: Piazza dei Signori, Cortile Mercato Vecchio and Cortile del Tribunale. Among the wooden cabins and gazebos you can buy handicrafts and fill your eyes and mouth with typical products of Christmas gastronomy.
👉 Park in motorhome on the services area Porta Palio in Verona
📅 From 12th November to 26 December 2021
Do you like our Christmas trip? So let’s continue together!
- Grazzano Visconti. We follow our list of Christmas markets in Italy. The atmosphere of the small village of Piacenza remember us the old villages. With its lights and Christmas decorations that embrace the market stalls, the entire village is becoming a true fairy tale. There are several dates with thematic events all over the village. More information on this link.
👉 Make a motorhome stop in Grazzano Visconti
- San Marino. In the small state which borders the region of Emilia Romagna and the Marche, the Christmas atmosphere is also omnipresent by the historic setting of the village. In the North, the stalls of crafts and handmade fashion accessories combine with those of the local gastronomy.
👉 Stay in motorhome at San Marino
📅 From 4th December to 6 January 2022 every week-end
Let’s continue our list of the most beautiful Christmas markets to discover!
- Arezzo. One of the most interesting towns in Tuscany with ancient origins, which is completely transformed at Christmas time. There are 32 chalets where you can buy and taste local products. In addition to visit the House of Santa Claus, stroll in the Christmas Garden with fir trees, and exhibitors from all over Europe. For more information, go here.
👉 Park in motorhome on the services area Arezzo
📅 From 20th November to 26 December 2021 (from friday to sunday)
- Gubbio. It is with no doubt one of the most famous Christmas market destinations in Italy. Stroll through a fascinating atmosphere, made even more special by the stalls, music and lights that decorate the whole village. Moreover, every year in Gubbio you can admire the largest Christmas tree in the world, which over time has attracted thousands of people.
👉 Take a break in a motorhome on the services area Gubbio
- Polignano a Mare. Let’s go to the splendid landscapes of the Apulian coast, to a village which overlooks the sea, with its white houses and cobbled streets that are witness of the birth of Domenico Modugno. At Christmas it is even more beautiful with the artist’s Lights of «Nel blu dipinto di luci» (in the painted blue of the lights) which illuminate the whole village. The largest Christmas tree in Puglia is set in the central square.
👉 Make a stop in motorhome on the services area Polignano a Mare
- Alberobello. The world’s most famous hut town (Trulli) becomes even more beautiful at Christmas. It is decorated on the theme of Christmas to become, if possible, even more spectacular. The white houses of the past with their beautiful decorations are made even more fascinating by the lights and Christmas markets of Italy.
👉 Stay a few days on the services area nel verde in Alberobello
A rather special Christmas market 🌟
- Gardaland. We will show you a different Christmas market, in the atmosphere of an amusement park. We believe that if you are traveling with kids this destination could be fun for the whole family. In this theme park, the most famous in Italy, the magical Christmas atmosphere shines in the Parco del Prezzemolo. Young and old will be able to marvel in a truly unique Christmas setting. You will be able to admire the masterpieces of model railroading from the Winter Express exhibition and meet Santa Claus in person in the Magic Village of Santa Claus! For any information visit the website.
👉 Take a break on the services area Lazise close to Gardaland
📅 From 4th December to 9 January 2022
Why visiting the Christmas markets? 🎅🏻
Everyone if fond of the special atmospheres that animate the weeks leading up to Christmas and which are often the opportunity to combine a few days of strolling through Christmas market.
Indeed, discovering the Christmas markets is also an opportunity to stroll in a village or a city. And then, discover hidden and secret corners between a stall and a mulled wine. So what are you waiting for?
Have you ever visited these Christmas markets in Italy? 🇮🇹 What do you think?
On the same topic, you can also read our other blog posts: « Christmas shortbread: a recipe to make in motorhome » or « Where to go in winter for Christmas in motorhome? ».
Enjoy your travel in motorhome, caravan or van thanks to the CaraMaps application!